Today we are winding up a series of sermons concerning talents and gifts of the Holy Spirit. So far, we have covered the meaning, the differences and the similarities of the two. Today we are going to look at three things:
Where do gifts and talents come from?It is an obvious truth that the gifts and talents come from God Himself. Even though we have see in the previous lesson that they come in different ways i.e. the talents are inherited through natural birth meaning talents are inherited, it is God who releases the talents in that particular family line. And the gifts of the Holy Spirit are given by the Spirit of God to who ever He pleases.
Talents and gifts are from God. In the book of 1 Corinthians 14:1 the bible says "...eagerly desire spiritual gifts,..." NIV. While talents are inherited, spiritual gifts are given to us through the Holy Spirit. And the bible tells us to desire them.
For what purpose?
This is very important. It is not enough just to have gifts and talents and sit back at home admiring yourself! God gives for a reason. He has a purpose for your life and these are important for you to accomplish whatever purpose God wants you to.
The bible says, in 1 Corinthians 12:11 "All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines." NIV The Holy Spirits determines how to give, and he says to each one of us meaning, if you are a believer, the Spirit of God has gifted you with something, as He determines and so, there is a reason to why you are gifted or talented with something!
Moreover, the bible says in " Ephesians 4:12-13 "... to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ." NIV
What I came to know is that, when God gives you something, He wants you to be a blessing to others. Use it to glorify God. Use it for the body of Christ! Lift Him up.
How do I discover them in me?
It is a very important as well as most common question in many people. Sometimes it happens you do something for the first time or several times and you discover that it is something that you wish to do every night, everyday!
You might want to try a number of things to see what suits you best concerning talents let's say different sports or any other activity that you feel might be something for you.
The very important thing is, ask God to guide you through every step you take and to lead you to where you belong.
I would love to share with you some few tips I learnt somewhere during a seminar on how to confirm whether now this is it or not.
- Peace and joy: If what you are doing is really for you, you will feel the fulfillment and the contentment and that will give you peace and joy.
- You will love what you do: There is no way you will not love what you do without extra effort. Effort is needed in many things but doing what you love will not torture you.
- You will spend much of your time doing that: If what you do really suites you, you will enjoy and spend much of your time there.
- Good results: If what you do is really for you, you will get good results. A point to note, even though at first things might not go well, you will still see the light ahead and have the energy to continue.
- People will appreciate what you do: Here I do not mean everyone but most people will respond well on what you are doing. You will be a good testimony and people will want to learn from you.
I have a principle of appreciating whatever small thing I have and use it for God's glory. I know that God will bless it and it will multiply. I encourage you to do the same. Remember the story of the man who gave talents to his servants (You can read it from the gospel of Mathew 25:14-28). Use whatever God has entrusted you, however small it may be, God will multiply it! And remember in the last lesson, we said they both grow as you use them. The more you use your gifts or talents, the more they grow.
God bless you and thank you so much!!!